Bathroom locks must provide privacy, be reliable and long-lasting. Simultaneously, they should be moderately easy to force-open if help is required for the person inside the bathroom in the event of slips and trips, accidents or simply a minor fault that leaves the door locked from inside.
Lock types for bathrooms and toilets
Bathroom locks in a home usually have a spring lock release that can be activated using the thumbturn inside the bathroom. Bathroom locks are more modern than privacy locking mechanism as it also offers lock release mechanism from outside in case of emergencies.
Privacy door knobs or Ball-Type Door Knobs locks have a rounded design and fit into the palm. These are typically fitted with a lockset; the inside handle has a button that can be either pushed or turned to secure the door.
These door knobs come in various colour finishing suitable for interior doors.
Lever-style locks operate similarly to ball-type ones but much easier to install and manipulate than ball-type door knobs. The door lock can be easily activated using thumbturn provided with the door handle. These are recommended to be used with internal bathroom locks.
This is very convenient for places where there are high chances of a person getting locked inside the WC toilet, such as children, old or poorly people. This is the best lock type for an accessible bathroom at home or in the workplace.
If you have a lever on rose handle, you could install it as a bathroom door handles using a separate thumb and release mechanism.
Thumbturn and release
This type of lock typically comes as a set in a round shape. It has a small button that the bathroom occupant can turn from the inside. It can be opened from the outside if needed by turning the release. These much be installed with bathroom mortice sash locks.
The thumbturn locks are the best choices for cloakrooms, especially where small children can easily lock themselves in and help needs to be at hand.
Our Bathroom Thumbturn and release products are easily installed on doors matching the existent doorknob or door handle perfectly.
Door bolts or Barrel Bolts offer more privacy and they are suitable for shared living. They can't be opened from outside, so consideration must be given in households with small children or vulnerable adults.
We also offer bathroom door indicator privacy bolt, ideal for shared occupancy, student lets, offices or other workplaces.
They are very easy to install on the surface of the door as they do not need to be used in conjunction with any bathroom door lock mechanism.
A chain lock will allow some handling from the outside whilst still giving enough privacy for the bathroom occupant.
Our locking door chain comes with keys that allow you to lock the door from the outside, making this product suitable for multiple doors :
- entrance door from the garage
- laundry or pantry door
- conservatory or garden door
The chain lock offers privacy and security, allowing enough open space to hand or receive items safely, check identity, leave a door open for your pets.
How to choose the best bathroom lock
Choosing a bathroom lock depends on the type of door handle that you purchase or already have fitted on the bathroom door:
- For a rose door handle, where the lever is attached on a small plate that can be either round or square, it's best to add a thumb turn and release lock.
- Lever handles require a separate locking mechanism that will allow locking the door for privacy and security.
- When looking at locks suitable for workplaces or other public buildings, buyers must ensure that the chosen lock is easy to operate, can be accessed from the outside if there is an emergency according to the regulations in place in the UK.
Other aspects to take into consideration are:
- The product's quality - buying the locks from a trusted manufacturer like Hiatt Hardware ensures that customers will benefit from high finishing and after-sales care standards.
- Style and handling - the lock's look and feel must work in perfect harmony with the door handle and fit perfectly to the room's general decorative style.
- The lock's finish must match the door handle in shape and colour, be it chrome, satin, brass or black.
Hiatt Hardware offers a wide collection of great, fashionable, functional bathroom locks that would offer a classy finish to any bathroom door. But why stop here? You might want to match this to other doors at home or the office.
Our website enables everyone to choose from designs that cater to both modern and traditional refinement, from simple to more elaborate items at a click's distance.